Thursday, September 27, 2012

Spiced Caramel Pear Jam



Are you ready for another yummy jam recipe?  I've been canning so much that I haven't cooked much of anything except what I've canned. I really need to make a final end of canning season count of how many jars I filled.  It might make me feel sick though.  I've spent so many hours putting up and preserving the harvest.  Sometimes up to 7 hours a day.  But it is totally worth it when I can go downstairs and get delicious tasting food and know it is the best quality I can provide.

This jam is my favorite new canning recipe this year.  Part of the white sugar is replaced with brown sugar (hence the "caramel" in the title) and it adds a depth of flavor that white sugar never could.  And the spices really showcase the flavor of ripe fall pears.  It is great on toast, pancakes, rolled up in crepes or by the spoonful.

Spiced Caramel Pear Jam
Makes 3 pints or 6 half pints

4 cups chopped peeled and cored pears, about 8 pears
1 package powdered fruit pectin (I always use Sure Jell)
3 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon butter, optional

Grind or finely chop the pears (I just squished mine with my hands); measure 4 cups into a large pot.  Add the pectin to the pears and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat, until the mixture comes to a full rolling boil (One that can't be stirred away).

Stir in the sugars and spices. Add the butter, if desired, to keep foam to a minimum. Stirring constantly, again bring the mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil for exactly 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and continue stirring for 5 minutes. Skim excess foam from the mixture, if necessary.

Fill hot jars with hot fruit mixture, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rims clean with a dampened cloth or paper towel and fit lids on tops of jars. Screw on the bands firmly. Lower the jars into the water and add more very hot or boiling water so the water is 1 to 2 inches above the jars. Bring to a boil. Cover and boil gently for 10 minutes. Remove the jars to a rack to cool completely. Do not invert.

Source:  about.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...