Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Sticky Asian Chicken


My goodness!  Time sure flies sometimes.  It seems like I look at the calendar and it's the middle of March and the next time I dare to take a peek, April is almost gone.  I think it has something to do with being a mom of seven children.  My life is consumed with getting everyone where they need to be, helping with homework and keeping my home and garden intact.  It's a lot of work, but as I watch these little people grow up to be amazing, mature almost adults I can't help but be grateful for the ride, bumpy though its been.

My oldest son, Colton, is currently obsessed with Asian food and I've pretty much used up my arsenal of Asian recipes to please him.  Since he'll soon be gone for 2 years and I'll only be able to talk to him on Christmas and Mother's Day, I've been indulging his every culinary need.  As a result, I've found some fantastic recipes.

This chicken has been one of my favorites so far.  It is pretty spicy, and next time I'll tone it down for my little ones, but for adults, it's perfect.  It made a great meal with rice, steamed veggies and Asian Slaw.

Sticky Asian Chicken
Serves 6

For the chicken:

2-½ pounds Chicken, cut into chunks
2 cups All-purpose Flour
2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
Vegetable oil for frying

For the sauce:

3 Tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Hoisin Sauce
2 Tablespoons Honey
2 cloves Garlic, Minced
2 Tablespoons Minced Ginger
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
2 teaspoons Soy Sauce
2 teaspoons Sriracha (add More If You Want Them Really Spicy, or less for a milder dish)
1 teaspoon Cornstarch
2 Tablespoons Butter
Optional Garnishes: Sesame Seeds And Finely Cut Green Onions


Add the flour and salt into a large shallow dish and set aside.

Heat a large skillet with an inch or two of vegetable and heat up to 375 F.

While you are waiting for the oil to come to temperature, add the chicken to the flour and salt mixture and toss to coat the chicken lightly in the flour. You will probably have to do this in two batches (same with the frying.)
When the oil is at the appropriate temperature gently add the chicken to the oil.
While the chicken is frying (stir and flip them occasionally over about 12 minutes) begin preparing the sauce.

For the sauce, combine the vinegars, hoisin and the honey in a small bowl. Add the minced garlic and ginger. Add the brown sugar, soy sauce and sriracha and combine well. Whisk in the cornstarch.
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat, and then whisk in the sauce mixture. Cook over medium heat for about 1 minute while the cornstarch thickens.
Remove the golden chicken from the frying oil at about the 12 minute mark and transfer them to a large bowl.
Add half of the sauce (if you have split them into two batches for frying purposes) and toss the chicken to coat it.
Repeat with the rest of the chicken and sauce.
Serve hot with sesame seeds and finely cut green onions to garnish.


Source:  Tasty Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...